Monday, December 10, 2012

Healthy Blueberry-Banana Muffins

Oh the weekends...they always get me! Especially during the holiday season with cookie exchanges and holiday parties galore.  Did you know the average weight-gain from Thanksgiving to Christmas is only 1 lb.  I read this in Real Simple Magazine and for some reason I was surprised that it was only 1 lb. Maybe it is because I personally, do not have any self control and maybe the average person does?!  Or, maybe it is because people ramp up their workouts to compensate for what they are eating?  I try to have a good balance of both, but the holidays ALWAYS get me.  (Good thing a new season of biggest looser starts in January to motivate me!!)

This morning, after a weekend of overeating, I wanted to make something healthy that I could eat mid-morning and that would be easy to grab and eat on the go.  I stumbled upon this recipe on Marthastewart.com and I made a couple of substitutions to make it even healthier than the recipe already was. Happy Monday!

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup flax seed (partially crushed in a food processor)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter at room temperature
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 375.  Whisk first six ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl smash two bananas (should make 3/4 cup). Add vanilla and milk.

Meanwhile in a standing mixer with paddle attachment, mix butter, yogurt, and sugars until well mixed (2-3 min). Add each egg one at a time.

Reduce mixer speed to low. Add dry ingredients alternating with banana mixture. Add oatmeal last and mix until just combined. Fold in frozen blueberries.


Divide batter in muffin tins (sprinkle sanding sugar on top) and bake for 25-28 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment