Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ginger Snaps

I know, I know, I am a slacker! It was my idea to do the 25 days of Christmas and time has just got away from me!  Luckily I was able to make it WI despite the winter storm "Draco" (Malfoy is still messing with us!) and I still have been slacking. We have been busy snow shoeing, playing in the snow and keeping busy with family.

On Thursday when we were snowed in, so I grabbed the St. John's Cookbook from my Grandma and started paging through it. Life moves so fast, and I had never taken the opportunity to sit and read through the different recipes.  So, I spent about an hour paging through the different recipes and it was such a perfect thing to do while snuggled inside! We have to bring cookies to all of our family functions, so I decided to try the Ginger Snaps.  I noticed that the recipe called for 3/4 cup Spry. Hmmm,  spry.....I have never heard of it. I tried googling it and there were not any helpful explanations (they gave me "nimble").  So I called an expert, my grandmother, and of course she new exactly what it was; a brand of lard or butter used back in the 40's and that I should substitute butter. Note to self: Grandmothers know everything!





These cookies turned out perfect and will now be added to the Christmas favorites. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

1 comment: