Thursday, December 20, 2012

almond crescents


The recipe I use for these cookies is out of a 1958 Christmas Cookies book, distributed by the Wisconsin Electric Power Company.   I bought it at a thrift sale for $1 and on the inside flap it says "Be Modern....Cook Electrically".  This book has a lot of the great cookies that my Grandmas used to make and the recipes are simple and more importantly, they have stood the test of time. 
My mom has made almond crescents for as long as I can remember, and we only have them at Christmas.  I have been having one or two in the morning with my coffee (an amazing pairing), so I am going to go through withdrawal once this crazy holiday season comes to an end.

Almond Crescents (Christmas Cookies - Wisconsin Electric Power Company) 

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup blanched almonds, slivered
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Cream butter.  Add sugar gradually and cream for 4 minutes.  Add in almond extract.
2. Add salt, flour and almonds. Blend
3. Shape into crescents.  Use about 1/2 tablespoon of dough
4. Place on parchment paper/silicone baking mat
5. Bake at 300 degrees for 18-20 minutes 
6. Roll crescents in powdered sugar while hot
7. Makes 7 dozen.

* I did make a few slight adjustments to modernize the recipe (silicone baking mat etc.)



No comments:

Post a Comment