Sunday, May 26, 2013

Strawberry & Rhubarb Crumble Pie

U rah rah for Rhubarb!   I ran a half marathon today and baking/eating this delicious dessert was an essential part of my training.  It gave me speed, endurance and it even erased my wrinkles :)  In all seriousness, I did eat 3/4 of this pie and I did have my best time ever.  You can decide if the two events are related.  This recipe is adapted from my Grandma's Church Cookbook "Our Favorite Recipes - The St. John's Cookbook" - (First edition was in 1949!).   


Crust/Topping
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2  cup melted butter

Fruit Filling
2 cups diced rhubarb
11/2 cups strawberries, quartered
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.  Add, oats, sugar and melted butter and blend together until crumbly.  Press one half of the crumbly mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan.  Save the rest for the top of the pie.

Mix fruit, sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Pour fruit mixture onto the crust. Dot with 1 tsp butter and spread the remaining topping over the fruit filing.

Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Serve warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.








1 comment: