Monday, May 20, 2013

chicken and bacon wrap-ups

One of my all time favorite meals that I always looked forward to when coming home from college was my mother's Chicken Wrap-Ups.  Little did I know how simple they are to make.  I have made them for just Chris and myself, but have also made them for up to eight or nine people. They are delicious and always a crowd pleaser!

Every time I make these they are slightly different. Sometimes I use non-fat cream cheese, reduced-fat cream cheese, cream cheese with chives, etc. The non-fat cream cheese is a great low-fat option, but does not have quiet as much flavor as reduced fat, so I tend to use the reduced fat. You can also experiment with mixing different flavors like basil, oregano, cumin etc. However the recipe below is my all time favorite and is a must try.



Ingredients for two:
2 chicken breasts
3-4 oz cream cheese (reduced fat with chives)
Sun-dried tomatoes
Basil
4 slices of bacon



Start by using a meat mallet to pound out chicken to an even thickness throughout (approximately 1/4-1/2 inch).  Salt and pepper both sides.  In a small bowl mix together cream cheese, diced sun-dried tomatoes and chopped basil.

Spread half of cheese mixture on to the center of one side of the chicken breast. Roll chicken breast to conceal cream cheese. Wrap bacon around the chicken breast in two different directions, securing with tooth picks.  Repeat with other chicken breast.  Place on a broiler pan.
Broil the chicken breast to crisp the bacon for 5-10 minutes. Flip breast and broil for another 5 minutes. Once bacon is crisped, cook chicken wraps at 400 degrees for another 20-25 minutes.

Take out of oven and let slightly cool. Make sure to remove the toothpicks prior to serving.








No comments:

Post a Comment