Thursday, May 23, 2013

Spicy Oven-Roasted Chickpeas

Snacking, I love to do it.  I try to make good choices, but inevitably, I end up eating the kids' pirates booty, which does nothing good for mine.
I think the key to healthy snacking is having variety of options so you do not get tempted to splurge. A friend of mine told me about how she had been roasting chickpeas and taking them in the car, for a quick, crunchy snack.  I tried this recipe, and loved the spicy kick (you can play around with the spices, to please your palate).  Try them on top of a salad, in quinoa or on their own.


Recipe
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, thoroughly drained, rinsed and dried (about 3 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients until evenly coated. Spread the chickpeas in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, shaking them and rotating the pan every 10 minutes (I found it very important to shake/rotate the pan to ensure that the chickpeas are crisp and crunchy).  Once cool, store in a resealable bag at room temperature for up to a 3 days (Mine lasted only a few minutes - and let me tell you, my body was not ready for 2 cans of pure fiber).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment