Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Confetti Rice Krispie Treats with Buttercream Frosting


We were in Chicago last weekend (Book of Mormon, Girl & the Goat and tons of dancing) and on our way out of town, we detoured through Lincoln Park in order to bring home our favorite Chicago eats - deep dish pizza from Pequod's and some delicious treats from Sweet Mandy B's. I have learned that it is better to enter the bakery with blinders on, walk right to the register and place my order.  This way, I am not tempted to order/taste everything in the bakery case.  This Sunday was no exception, I walked in past all of the goodies, placed my order and paid. HOWEVER, on my way out, I allowed myself to browse at all of the amazing, brightly colored treats. I had seen most of them before, but one item at the end of the case caught my eye - Rice Krispie Treats with buttercream.                                                                                                                         
WHAT?!                                                  

GENIUS!!

I resisted the urge to get back in line to try one of them, and instead vowed to make them when we got home. I did and OMG they are good.  They might be my family's new favorite dessert, which is perfect, because they do not require any baking :)
  

Krispies 
1 bag of marshmallows
3 Tbs butter
6 cups of krispies
1/3 cup rainbow jimmies

Buttercream (same recipe as here)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
a pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
4-5 cups of powdered sugar, sifted
2-5 tbsp heavy whipping cream


Treats - Heat marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Stir and put back into the microwave for 30 additional seconds. Stir until combined. Add in cereal and jimmies and mix until the cereal is covered with marshmallow mixture. Transfer the contents of the bowl to a greased 9x13 pan and let it cool (you can use a smaller pan if you want your treats to be thicker)

Buttercream - Beat the butter and salt until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and 2 tbsp of heavy whipping cream. Sift the sugar and then add cup by cup until you have reached the desired sweetness. Beat the frosting 15-20 minutes. The amount of time you spend beating the mixture truly makes a difference in consistency and fluffiness. Add more cream as needed.

Turn the Rice Krispie pan over and let the treats fall out onto a tray/plate.  Frost the treats, add sprinkles  and let the frosting set (I was inpatient, so I stuck mine in the refrigerator for 20 minutes).  Cut and serve.







No comments:

Post a Comment