Saturday, June 16, 2012

S'More bars

Fathers day is tomorrow and although I may not be home to celebrate I want to thank my dad for everything.  My parents have always been a support system, a sounding board and a foundation to who I have become.  They have always trusted in me and encouraged me to follow my passions whether it be a masters degree or signing up for triathlons.

Father's day is a day that we celebrate and appreciate our father, but I also feel it represents the beginning of summer: water skiing, golfing and bike rides. While thinking about the beginning of summer and this weekend ahead I could not stop thinking about bonfires and of course s'mores.  Seeing as though we do not have a back yard or even much of a patio, s'mores are out of the question.  So I found this recipe and they are pretty close to amazing. I did make some substitutions to try and make them "low fat" seeing as I could eat the entire pan in one sitting.

Below is my adapted recipe and I have to warn you, it gets a little messy when layering... but they are delicious!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter (or 1/2 cup butter if you do not want to substitute with yogurt)
4 tablespoons plain chobani yogurt (non-fat)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham crakers (about 4 large graham crackers - low fat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of Kosher salt
2-3 king sized chocolate bar (ie: Hershey's)
1 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff (I used the 7 oz marshmallow fluff jar)

 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8 or 9 inch square baking dish or place parchment paper with 2 inches of overhang on two of the sides. 

- Cream butter and sugars with paddle attachment on high. Slowly add chobani yogurt and beat for 4 minutes. Add egg, scrape down sides of bowl. Add Vanilla extract. 

- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, graham crackers baking soda and salt.  

 - With the mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture. Mix until just combined.

- Divide dough in half and press 1/2 dough in an even layer on the bottom layer of the dish. (It was a little difficult for me to spread so I used a little flour on my hands to help spread evenly in dish.)

- Place chocolate bars over dough mixture so it is completely covered. Next spread fluff over chocolate bars.

- Lastly form remaining pieces of dough into flat squares and place over fluff. It does not have to look perfect or completely cover all of the fluff.

- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until top is browned. Let cool completely before removing bars. Makes approximately 16 bars.

Happy Fathers day dad!

1 comment: