Friday, June 8, 2012

Hooray for the CSA!

This year Dan and I decided to purchase a half share of a local CSA, Equinox Community Farm.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture), they provide a relationship between local farmers and the community. The goal of CSA is to reconnect people with the land that sustains them. As a shareholder I know the farm where my food is coming from, their growing practices and I am able to form a relationship with our farmer. Our shares are delivered weekly for twenty weeks from June through October and they contain vegetables that we are familiar with as well as one or two "non-traditional" veggies. 
Yesterday was the start of our CSA season. Our box contained radishes, kohlrabi, green garlic, napa cabbage, red leaf lettuce, spinach, mixed greens and strawberries. I cannot believe that we received all of this in our half of a share.  I am so excited to use all of my freshly delivered produce. I would highly recommend that you check out a CSA in your area. You will  not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment