Thursday, November 8, 2012

Roasted Garlic & Citrus Chicken

We had our first snow fall yesterday and it reaffirmed the fact that I am not ready for winter!  I protested, by staying in my workout clothes, not showering and drinking 3 mugs of hot cocoa.  I wanted to make something warm for dinner, but still being in my bad weather slump, I wanted to expend minimal energy/effort. 
I had seen Rachel Ray make this in 10 minutes on her show and as it turns out it was not Hollywood trickery.  The prep really only took l0 minutes (with the exception of roasting the garlic).  The whole family loved this meal.  In fact, I received so much praise, that I am no longer in my bad weather mood (for now :)).


Ingredients  (Recipe from Rachael Ray)


4 bulbs garlic, ends cut to expose cloves
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs of choice (I prefer rosemary and thyme)
2 tablespoons butter
Juice of 1 lemon
8 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken, such as 2 thighs, 2 drummers and 4 breasts
Crusty bread, to soak up juices

Serves 4-6

 

Preparation

Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
Drizzle the garlic with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in a foil pouch. Roast until light golden and just tender. Let cool to handle, then press the cloves into a bowl and mash with a knife.
Heat the vermouth and stock; whisk in the roasted garlic paste and herbs. Finish the sauce with butter and lemon juice.
Drizzle the chicken with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 15 minutes, then pour the sauce over and roast for 20 minutes more.
Place crusty bread in the bottom of a shallow bowl.  Scoop some of the garlic/lemon broth onto the bread (enough to saturate the bread - 1/4 cup).  Place the desired amount of chicken on top of the bread and top with a little more sauce and some arugula salad (I just took Arugula, olive oil, salt and the juice of one lemon and tossed it together for a peppery, tangy salad)

No comments:

Post a Comment