Monday, May 14, 2012

Decoupage Tray

My mom's birthday and mother's day are both right around the corner, and I usually try to give her something homemade along with her other loot. Bridget inspired me to try some decoupage with her coaster post, so I decided to get crafty with Mod Podge.
I found a white melamine tray at target and I thought it would be fun to add some Lilly Pultizer fabric, to go with the placemats we bought for her mother's day gift (my mom has a slight obsession with the iconic palm beach patterns). 
I wasn't sure how well the fabric would affix to the plastic tray, but it turned out great. Here is how I did it.

1. Cut a piece of fabric to fit into the bottom of the tray. This was by far the hardest part, because the tray had rounded edges and it was hard to cut the fabric to fit perfectly. Next time I will trace the bottom of the tray onto cardboard and use it as a template to cut out the fabric.

2. Using a sponge brush, apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the bottom of the tray and place fabric on top. Try to smooth out the fabric to remove any bubbles/wrinkles. Let this dry for at least an hour.

3. Using the sponge brush, apply a coat of Mod Podge over fabric and let dry (at least an hour or so), repeat 4-5 times.

4. Finish the tray by spraying the fabric with an acrylic coating (3 coats, letting dry in between coats). This will keep the fabric waterproof. 

* Clean tray after using with a damp cloth. I would not submerge in water or place in dishwasher.



No comments:

Post a Comment