Sunday, January 5, 2014

Power Granola

I am trying to reintroduce healthy foods to my body. I need to get all of the rich, holiday junk out of my system and start fueling myself with true, unprocessed, whole foods.

I made a batch of this granola (adapted from a recipe found on cookinglight.com) and the girls and I have been snacking on it all week. The nuts and flax help keep me satisfied and energized and it tastes delicious.


Cheers to a healthier new year.


Ingredients

2 cups regular oats
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped slivered almonds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbs packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
Cooking spray
1/3 cup dried fruit (I used cherries, but you can use cranberries, dates, raisins, apricots or whatever dried fruit you prefer!!)


Preheat oven to 300°

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.

Combine orange juice, honey, and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in oil and almond extract.

Pour honey mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray (I used a silicone baking mat). Bake at 300° for 10 minutes; stir well. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Spoon granola into a bowl; stir in dried fruit. Cool completely.

If you are wanting to try more fabulous granola recipes, click here, here, here and here!

No comments:

Post a Comment