Sunday, January 20, 2013

LOVE Art - Valentines Day


My house always feels so empty and sad after I take down the Christmas decorations.  The emptiness reminds me of all of the house projects that are on  my "to-do" list and I am currently trying to work up the energy/commitment to get some of them started.  In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to start celebrating Valentines day, however early it might be :) 

This project is super easy and it takes less than an hour to complete. I got the idea from Knock Off Decor, which is one of my new favorite blogs!   

Supplies
Blank Art Canvas (I used 16x20)
Scrapbook Paper
Scissors
Mod Podge
Foam Brush


1. Find a font that you like and type out LOVE (I used size 700 font). I printed one letter per piece of paper
2. Cut out letters and use them as stencils on the scrapbook paper of your choice.  I used paper from Martha Stewart Crafts - Valentine Designer Paper pad. Cut out the letters and place them onto your canvas to ensure proper spacing/design.  

3. This step is optional - I did it because I knew that I would be hanging the canvas on a white wall and I wanted to piece to "pop" vs. blend in.  Paint all four sides of the canvas with a color of your choice.  Then, paint around the edges of the top of the canvas to create a faux frame.  Let the paint dry completely.
4. Coat the entire canvas with Mod Podge using a foam craft brush.  Apply Mod Podge to the back of each letter and place them onto the canvas.  Make sure to smooth out any wrinkles in the paper and that the letters lay completely flat. Apply another coat of Mod Podge to the entire canvas and carefully brush over letters.  
5. Let the canvas dry for an hour and apply a final coat.  


No comments:

Post a Comment