Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

Fall is a time of change and new beginnings. The colors outside are changing, the mornings are crisp and refreshing, and tomorrow is the first day of FALL! Where has the time gone?? With getting engaged, visiting great friends and family, buying (moving) into a new house and attempting to train for a run up Snowmass (in Aspen), I haven't had the time to appreciate and enjoy all of the positive changes in my life. In yoga my teacher had a great message when talking about fall and the changes we are faced with. "Let Go-Inhale - Let - Exhale - Go. Repeat this when you are facing changes that are difficult."  The message is simple, and during class, I thought about how I was going to let go and enjoy and embrace the changes in my life.  Instead of packing our condo or resting up for the run this weekend, I am going to "let-go" by baking and having a glass of wine! We will need a treat in Aspen, Right?

Everyone around me has been talking about pumpkin, so Pumpkin Bread it is! I usually use the recipe from The St. Johns cookbook, but since it is packed I found a great recipe from My Baking Addiction. Enjoy and let fall begin!

Pumpkin Bread
Makes: 2 loaves, Prep: 20 minutes, Bake: 60-90 min

1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cups water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
2 tablespoons pumpkin spice **

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pans that you choose to use.
2. In a standing mixer with paddle attachment, mix pumpkin, oil, eggs, water, vanilla and sugar.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together flour baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice. Add to mixture until just blended and pour in to prepared pans.
4. Bake for 60-90 minutes.

** You can buy pumpkin spice or you can make your own: 3 tablespoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 1/2 teaspoons cloves, and 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice. Mix well and store in a spice container.







No comments:

Post a Comment