Saturday, April 14, 2012

Broiled Grapefruit

I am spending a few weeks in sunny Florida visiting my Mother in-law with the girls, and I feel so lucky to wake up every morning to sunshine and warmth. An added perk to the warm temps and great company are the citrus trees right outside the front door.  The fruit is incredibly juicy and ready to eat off the tree.

This morning I decided to start off my day with a broiled grapefruit. I had never tried it before and it is incredibly easy and amazingly good. The top of the fruit becomes caramelized, almost like creme brulle and the tart juice balances out the sweetness of the sugar.  The recipe is as follows;

1 grapefruit halved
2 T sugar
1 T brown sugar
Pinch of sea salt



Place grapefruit in a baking dish, fruit side up. Mix sugars together in a small bowl and spoon on top of grapefruit halves. Press sugar firmly into fruit. Broil at 500 degrees for 3-4 minutes, or until sugar starts to brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt. Serve with mint and enjoy.











* Also good with greek yogurt on top

No comments:

Post a Comment